What is “VEGAN?”
“Veganism (/ˈviːgənɪzəm/) is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as following an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals.”
How does veganism support a healthy, sustainable world?
“RAISING ANIMALS FOR FOOD GENERATES MORE GREENHOUSE GASES THAN ALL THE CARS AND TRUCKS IN THE WORLD COMBINED.” – United Nations, 2006.
“We collectively raise, feed, water, kill, and eat over 65 billion animals each year for food. That number again: 65 billion, which is ten times as many people as we have on the entire earth.” –Dr. Richard Oppenlander via Sarmaraw
- Global warming (“climate change”) is caused by the production of methane, nitrous oxide, and carbon dioxide, not by carbon dioxide alone.
- Global warming is also caused by destroying trees and vegetation that regulate carbon dioxide and oxygen.
- Global warming is just one small component of global depletion.
- Methane is 23 times as powerful as carbon dioxide, and nitrous oxide is 310 times as powerful as carbon dioxide for their global warming potential.
- Forty percent of methane and 65 percent of nitrous oxide produced by all human activities are from livestock.
- Rainforests are the lungs of our planet, producing over 20 percent of the earth’s oxygen.
- Rainforests take millions of tons of CO2 out of our atmosphere and store it in the soil.
- Seventy percent of our rainforests have been slashed and burned in order to raise livestock.
- Fifty-five percent of our fresh water is being given to livestock.
- Over 70 percent of the grain the United States is fed to livestock.
- It takes 10 to 20 gallons of water to produce one pound of vegetables, fruit, soybeans, or grain.
- It takes over 5,000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat.
- One pound of vegetables, fruit, soybeans, or grain is healthier for you to eat than one pound of meat.
- During every one second of time, just in the United States alone, 89,000 pounds of excrement is produced by the chickens, turkeys, pigs, sheep, goats, and cows raised for us to kill and eat.
- One acre of land, if used for vegetables, grain, and/or legumes, produces ten to fifteen times more protein than if devoted to meat production.
- Over 30 percent of all usable total land mass on earth is used by livestock.
- Over 80 percent of all arable (agricultural) land in the United States is used for or by livestock.
- Six million children in the world will die from starvation this year.
- 1.1 billion people in the world are considered malnourished or suffering from hunger
(Information via Comfortably Unaware)
A plant-based diet is also proven to prevent/reverse disease.